Al Musallam ‘Accusation Completely False”, Says President Of Iranian Swimming

Husain Al Musallam

The Iranian swimming official cited by FINA’s controversial first vice-president Husain Al Musallam as having leaked “stolen” tapes to the media to discredit him before elections of the international swimming federation on Saturday, has declared the Kuwaiti’s accusation “completely false”.

In a statement sent out to the media today, Mohsen Rezvani, the president of I.R. Iran Swimming Federation,  says that Al-Musallam’s “allegations are intended to distract people’s attention from the real matters at hand”.

Turning Al Musallam’s stance back on him, Rezvani states that the Kuwaiti made his allegations to damage The Iranian swim president’s chances of being elected top the ruling Bureau of FINA on Saturday.

Al Musallam, cited in the U.S. Justice Department indictment of Guam football official Richard Lai, as “co-conspirator No3” in the payment of almost $1m from 2009 to 2014, was back in the headlines this week after was heard on a tape recording to discuss commission fees for “us” beyond the 82% of money that would have been due to the Olympic Council off Asia of which he is a director, had a deal been struck with a Chinese marketing agent.

In response to exclusive reports by The Times, Spiegel Online and SwimVortex, The OCA issued a statement denying that there had been any wrongdoing. Al Musallam, who denies any wrong doing in either the Lai case or over the commissions tape, then suggested to insidethegames that the Iranian official was the source of the tape passed on to the media.

Al Musallam is standing for the role of first vice-president again this week but only his fellow vice-presidents, not the General Congress, the “highest authority of FINA” have a say in the executive election.

Mohsen Rezvani statement in full:

I am deeply saddened to have been brought in to the recent controversy involving persons close to FINA and also the Olympic Movement and who have chosen to make statements in my regard.

I would like to declare that all the allegations made in my regard and of my Federation made by Mr Husain Al Musallam and reported in the website www.insidethegames.com are totally unfounded and completely false.

Iran and any officials acting on its behalf reserve the right to take any legal action in whichever courts it may choose to, or through any legal means available to them with regards to these false accusations.

It appears that such allegations are intended to distract people’s attention from the real matters at hand.

I have never either discussed or negotiated with Mr Hussain Al Musallam or any other person whether on his behalf or not with regards to the mentioned recording or any other matter whatsoever. Furthermore, I have never visited Italy, Switzerland or any other countries with regards to these issues.

I would rather recommend to Mr Al Musallam to not mention my name or my federation or country as these actions can only be intended to discredit myself, my federation and my country.

Finally, I believe the spreading of these false allegations started from the moment of my candidacy for the FINA Bureau which Mr Al Musallam was immediately against for no valid reason whatsoever.

20 July 2017
Budapest, Hungary

The Iranian swimming official cited by FINA’s controversial first vice-president Husain Al Musallam as having leaked “stolen” tapes to the media to discredit him before elections of the international swimming federation on Saturday, has declared the Kuwaiti’s accusation “completely false”. In a statement sent out to the media today, Mohsen Rezvani, the president of I.R. Iran Swimming Federation,  says that Al-Musallam’s “allegations are intended to distract people’s attention from the real matters at hand”.

Comments

No comments are available.

Leave a comment

Post a comment with your SwimVortex Account. Don't have a SwimVortex Account, Sign Up?

(*) Fields are required!
×